- Business Law: Complete a minimum of twenty two (22) credits in the approved Business Law Concentration required, practicum and elective courses; OR
- Business Law and Financial Services: Complete of a minimum of twenty three (23) credits in the approved Business Law and Financial Services Concentration required, practicum and elective courses;
- Attain a minimum cumulative average of 3.25 in Concentration courses by the time of graduation, with no grade of less than C in any such course;
- Attain a minimum cumulative average of 3.00 (B) for the entire J.D. program, by the time of graduation; and
- Satisfy the Concentration's legal writing requirement with:
- A paper which meets the standards of the Law School's legal writing requirement, and has been written for an approved Business Law and Financial Services Concentration or Business Law Concentration course or as part of a Directed Study project with a full time faculty member; OR
- A Concentration Thesis, which has been written under the supervision of a full time faculty member on a business law or financial services topic, and has been approved by the Faculty Director of the Concentration; OR
- A law journal piece or moot court brief whose subject matter comes within the scope of a Concentration course, and has been approved by the Faculty Director of the Concentration.
Upon satisfaction of the requirements noted above, Concentration students will be awarded a Concentration certificate in Business Law.
Students who opt to receive a certificate in Business Law and Financial Services must also take Banking Law and two (2) additional financially-related courses as part of the Concentration's elective course requirements as noted in the Courses section of these webpages.
None of these requirements may be waived for any Business Law and Financial Services Concentration students.
As soon as a Concentration student has met these stated criteria, the student should complete and file a Notice of Concentration Completion form with the Office of Academic Services. This form lists all Concentration courses taken, the grades received, the course credits received for Concentration courses and the successful completion of the writing requirement.
- Business Law and Financial Services Concentration students who have met all the criteria noted above, to the satisfaction of the Concentration Faculty Director(s), will receive a Business Law or Business Law and Financial Services Concentration certificate in addition to their Law School diplomas.
- A notation indicating successful completion of the Business Law or Business Law and Financial Services Concentration will appear on students' final Law School transcripts.
Graduation with Distinction
Students will graduate with the Distinction in the Business Law or Business Law and Financial Services Concentration if they either:
- Achieve a cumulative 3.5 grade point average in Business Law and Financial Services Concentration courses, OR
- Satisfy all Concentration requirements and complete a Business Law and Financial services Concentration Thesis.
Graduation with the Concentration with Distinction will also be noted on students' final Law School transcripts.