A check request is different from a purchase order in that it should be used to pay individuals and used when no invoice will be issued. Download the form [XLS] and review the instructions below for its proper use.
Note: This form is NOT to be used for employee reimbursement. For payments to employees, see the Travel & Expense section on this website.
Note: This form is NOT to be used for honorarium payment of $1,000 or less. Use the Honorarium Payment Request Form instead.
How to use a Check Request
- Fill out the check request completely (be sure to put a check-mark in the "Mail" or "Hold" block and obtain all proper signatures).
- Be Sure to include a complete and clear business purpose for the expense.
- Attach the proper documentation from the contract with the vendor/independent contractor. University Contract Policy [PDF].
- Obtain proper approvals in accordance with the Payment & Procurement Authorization Policy.
- Attach the original copy of any form that is to be mailed out with checks. If you plan to pick up the check and mail it yourself, attach a copy of the form.
Due to the check preparation process itself, only those check requests that are received in the Business Office by 4:45pm on Monday will be available for pick up on Friday at noon providing no additional information or documentation is needed. During holidays weeks, check with the Business Office for special schedules.
- Checks will not be sent through interoffice mail
- Addresses are necessary in all cases